- Rapid reduction of organic carbon, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.
- Digestion of uneaten/undigested food, excreta, detritus, and other latent organic material, resulting in cleaner and healthier aquarium substrate
- Reduction of organic compounds into nutrients that encourage the growth of photosynthetic organisms
- Greatly-reduced hydrogen sulfide production.
- Rise in dissolved oxygen concentration.
- Limits availability of pre-existing phosphate to undesirable forms of algae and cyanobacteria.
- Increased water clarity.